Sunday, November 21, 2004

Leaders

During the Second World War, lieutenants and majors are alongside their troops in the front lines, in order for them to have a better perspective of what is happening during an encounter. Battles are won with this way since the time a spent making decision is not hampered by the distance between the commanding officer and the troops. But present day battles are not fought this way, with the higher ranking officers being safely sheltered at their command posts, overseeing battles with the help of technology. What is lost is the direct link with the troops. Morale and empathy with the men are lost.

This analysis of war can be compared to the way architects and project managers should link up or communicate with their subordinates. Thankfully, architects are not in danger of being shot for making a wrong decision. What is necessary is for the architect to greatly empathize with the contractors, with the foremen, and of course with the workers.

Architects are all trained in school in the field of design and theory. What separates great architects from others is the fact that they go beyond what is thought in design school. And what separates the more experienced architects from the great i-know-what-I’m-talking-about architects is their direct immersion in the field. The great architect-generals are those found in the board rooms, in the executive chair, in the drafting room, in front of the computer. The great architect-majors and architect-sergeants are those that mingle with the troops, they eat with them, they safeguard their welfare, they talk with them, and they look after their quality of work. Even a simple chat with the lowest helper can help erase boundaries between the great architect and the men. Every line, every plane, every connection is carefully analyzed and deliberated in the field. After all, drawings, specifications and documents tend to be faulty at times. What is important is the direct connection with the work involved, since time is equal to work, and work is equal to money. And great connection is not limited to the foreman. It should be up to the grass roots, to the men, since they are the real executors of work.

____________________

I recently had a debate with the great administration-general in the office, with regards to my progress as a project manager. It turns out that I am too kind to the contractor, according to the almighty admin-general. I am too generous with time extensions. As compared to other project managers, I am too lax.

I tried to convince the great almighty that I will not sacrifice time with quality, but they insisted that it all boils down to the documents. If other project managers see that I am too lax, there will be points of comparisons, which, accordingly will result in unrest. Chaos. Jealousy.

Well almighty administration-general, this architect-sergeant has been a contractor and project manager for almost four years. If I can just say to them that I have been through thick and thin with the work related to construction, I can defend my position as to why I am too generous. But alas, old “experienced” people will always give you the great lines “…don’t reason with me. In terms of experience, I know what I am talking about. You are only just beginning with the field. Do not challenge me.” Yes, I am still young, but age does not correspond with experience. Work and quality cannot be summed up with words such as deadlines, documents, and damages. For me, quality work is concerned with user satisfaction, good architect-contractor relations, and empathy with the workers. Good relations for me cannot be replaced by theory and documents.

__________________

So the challenge continues.

1 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Blogger raymond said...

i often wish that i can make that connection, especially when i am on site.

don't let the generals fool you. what you have is important. without empathy, we are nothing but brutes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home