Sunday, July 04, 2004

jaded

I have come full circle. Well that is as far as living within Quezon City and studying is concerned. After living outside of the University for 4 years, I am finally back, after finding a place near my place of work. It's advantageous in terms of proximity to work and school, as well as having a place I can finally call my own (well, that is I still pay rent and share it with one other person).

And another thing is, I think I'm getting over my jadedness inside the University. I remember one movie wherein the actor comments "you know what your problem is? (in terms of living within New York CIty) You're all jaded! What you need is to reach out..." (somebody help me please, I forgot the actor and the movie. Oh well).

Living inside the University for over ten years has erased the sense of place for me. At one time I no longer felt proud of living inside the campus, of having the excitement of discovering new places and new things. The Ikot route and the hills have no meaning for me. Especially during the latter part of my stay in the College, wherein I practically live inside the building. The buildings are all the same, the people are the same, and the food is the same.

But having the honor and priveledge of being appointed as Architect inside the University, I am having a second look as to what the University can offer me, both visually and physically. I now see the buildings more in terms of its history, it's value to the end users, and the sense of community within the various units. As my engineer-companion in terms of ocular inspections and girl watching (haha!) is concerned, it is not the pay that keeps the people at the oca going. It's the sense of community. And I am now part of that community.

Now, travelling along the various routes of the campus, I am now seeing it in a new way, and eventually I also feel a little bit of nostalgia. I am reminded of events and incidents during my stay as an undergraduate, especially when I go back to the places I have visited a decade ago. I feel as though I am a freshman again, having the same difficulties of travelling and finding a place to eat.

Now let's just see how far the story will go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home