Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Waiting for the Bus

I've been standing here
Waiting for the bus on a Saturday
Laundry on my back
Ultravioletrays
Like I'm posing for a shot in a magazine
What the hell does it mean

I'm a travelling man
Straight from the can
I'm a thousand miles away from my
number one fan
The folks are getting tight
Won't let me out of night
You can avoid the complications
But there is no reason at all

________

I have been a traveller for ten years now. The long road from home to school, and now work to home has improved dramatically, but not efficiently. During the first few years I was witness to the rise of the Skyway, the MRT lines, the various flyovers along Makati, the rise to power of the MMDA, and the growth of 3 new malls along EDSA.

The song "Waiting for the Bus" by the Eraserheads expresses the thrill and trials of literally waiting for the bus and finally going inside the tin can for the long travel home. Waiting for the bus on a hot saturday afternoon after school, with laundry and the pose like in a magazine. This was the beginning of my travels.

________

When the lightning strikes we fry
I'll drink my beer I'll wipe my tears
Southbound in the sky

Another time, another reason gets you everyday
The only time that we can talk you ain't got
nothing to say
Well I'm caught up in a stupid game
that I can't play
It's just a waste of time but I'm in it anyway...

________

The stupid game, literally traffic, gets to your head, but no matter how much I avoid it, something will come up and force me to take that southbound or northbound trip. But now the game wherein we can't play and is a waste of time now encompasses a larger arena: life.
________

I've been sitting here, watching the signs
Too many cars at night, belching in the moonlight
We're doing ninety as the sky turns to gray
The people look like bees, buzzing by the highway
_________

The rat race...people buzzing around.

_________

The wheels are rolling like a rolling stone
Alone. I take the road less travelled on.

Now I'm lying here, waiting for the day on the second deck
Dreaming of a girl from a fairy tale
Chain around my neck a ride is all it takes
But pain gets in the way
_________

By now frustrations set in. I'm caught up in a stupid game that I can't play. It's just a waste of time. But I'm in it anyway. Now the bus ride is an escape from the race. I wanna go home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home