Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Sacrifices

Throughout my career, I have come upon crossroads that made me think about where I really want to go in life. Such decisions have always made me think back to whether I made the right decisions or not. A main problem that I have is in terms of commitment: if ever people depend on me, I have a hard time backing out in the middle of the commitment, in pursuit of personal gain. For me every commitment, every project needs to be finished to the very end.

One instance was when I applied for a job vacancy in a large food corporation as resident Architect. Armed with my mediocre qualifications in construction back then, I bravely sought the position, which they gave me. The package was good, the pay much better than my existing salary at the time, with travel around the country as a major component. They asked me when I can start, since the position was needed yesterday. My problem? I am currently tied up in the middle of the construction of a residential unit. The problem with working for a single client is you get to empathize with the needs of the client. No matter how efficient or how down the project is, I still want to finish it through to the end, before I move to other commitments. I turned the position down.

At present, with my commitments to my schooling, I again find it hard to drop everything for a better source of income. I am already at the later portion of my graduate studies, and again opportunity knocks at my door. An old friend offered me a better job than the one I am currently employed in. His SMS started with “Pare, masaya ka pa ba sa trabaho mo ngayon? (Are you still happy with your job today?)”. To which I replied that I enjoy my job because I have more free time and that I get to pursue further studies. But after learning of the package, I again find myself at a crossroad, whether to take up the job, and give up further pursuit of my studies, as well as give up my current job and its perks, the social relationships formed and kept within it.

I again turned down the job offer, stating that I have to finish school first. But this time I know I have made the right choice, because unlike my earlier crossroad, I know that I am doing this for myself. I have asked myself why I still pursue planning as a career, and recently I have established my reasons as to why I will continue striving to be a planner. No instant offer can now change my mind, and I hope it will not haunt me with what could have been.

So I guess I’ll have to carry on and move forward.

1 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sabi sa rich dad, poor dad book ni robert kiyosaki, #1 lesson to becoming rich: the rich don't work for money.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home