Thursday, May 25, 2006

Join

Recently went to Alabang Town Center to while away the time, and I happened to pass by a booth from an international environmentalist group. Being sensitive of the environment in my own little way, I decided to stop by the booth and see were I can contribute, sign up or join in. I was very interested, also because I want to connect this particular interest with my current academic endeavor.

I introduced myself, and told them that I am studying Urban Planning. The guy replied "Uhuh, ano po yun?", to which I clarified, "Its a course where Environmental Planners come from." I was hoping that the word "environmental" would spark interest, or even recognition, but I was disappointed. "Uhuh, ano po yun?" I feel like going back to my first undergraduate course, which is generally unknown to the public. "Uhuh, ano yung course mo?"

But its ok, at least I can still join, and contribute. Starting out to fill the form, the guy quickly asked "Uh sir, ano po bank nyo?" A bit puzzled, I answered with all the banks I have accounts on (parang andami no?), and seeing that I don't have an account on any of their recognized banks, he denied me membership into the group.

Its a bit frustrating that in order to join, contribute and share your efforts to a group, you have to pay so much. Isn't effort and expertise enough payment? It turns out that the required bank account is for monthly "donations". So I don't get anything, no brochure, no literature, not even a handwritten website address for me to browse so that I can be further convinced to join later on and give them the bank account they need. I just got a very shabby explanation on what the group is all about. With all the "donations" they get, they could at least get better PR persons.

So I walk away.

I remember wanting to join another group of conservationists, but was discouraged also due to the exhorbitant fees they want to get from aspiring members. Its not about expertise, effort or plain interest. Its also about money. And to think they need people to get interested in their crusades.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home