Thursday, June 22, 2006

Missions

For the last half of 2006, I have listed a few goals, which I am gonna coin as my "missions" (although a mission is different from a goal, in planning speak) for 2006:
1. Maximize library priviledges, bookstores and other literature sources within the campus.
2. Join seminars.
3. Join an organization.
4. Learn a new skill or revive old interests.
5. Organize and backup.

These are my boring, academic missions for the latter part of the year:
_______________
Being two sems shy of losing my library priviledge, I realized that there are still tons of treasures to be found within the Architecture and SURP libraries. I remember back then when I was still with the Arts and Letters I would gaze at the rows upon rows of books at the CAL and GenRef sections of the Main Library. I have always loved borrowing, and of course reading books. But upon entering Architecture this drive slowed down, now I have to catch up again.

I bought some new planning books, particularly on administrative planning, transportation planning and one on green architecture cum planning cum environmentalism. And aside from that, I got new acquisitions on geographic information systems (with compact discs!!!), as well as tons of magazines. Also got some books on anthropology, participative planning, and other planning related books. Now I'm off to the Architecture library!
_______________
Joining seminars has been one of my frustrations, simply because I fail to avail of seminars within the campus. I do attend symposiums provided by SURP, and I list down potential symposiums I really like. But in the end I fail to attend them.

Recently we signed up for a product demo on Autocad 2007 and Revit at the Shangrila Hotel in Makati. It's not a seminar per se, but at least we started being aware and really attended a short presentation on software. And of course its lakwatsa time for us non-Makati people.
_______________
Being previously down on social life, I signed up for a professional organization which focuses on geographic information systems. An old land use planning classmate saw me at the Balay Kalinaw and led me to a seminar being handled by the org. Being mostly composed of academics and geographers, I am excited on the idea of an Architect/Urban Planner joining such a group. Let's see where the org takes me. Of course the prospect of getting contacts, networks and clients is still there, and of course improving my social life.
_______________
I saw an ad at the Shopping Center on guitar tutorials. I called up the number found at the ad, and was pleasantly surprised to know that the group offering the tutorials is a group composed of Architects and Engineers. I was surprised some more to know that some of these professionals teach at my old board review school. They also teach architectural presentation and graphics programs, as well as maintain a fully functioning A&E office. Now I am excited to sign up, since the prospect of not just learning advanced guitar, but also expanding my network is also available.
_______________
And of course, being a list person, I am still continuing on back ups and organizing my files, may it be hard or soft copies/files.

Now lets see how far I can go on with these missions. Busy-busyhan mode, on! Now I have to ponder on the more exciting part of my life, with the new apartment now available.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home