Friday, May 20, 2005

Malling

Is there such a word as malling? With the onset of text lingo and taglish (or in the oca lingo, spataglish – Spanish, tagalong and English), its hard to determine whether a word is indeed valid or is a product of wrong and tolerated bad grammar.

Being a self sufficient person in my own right, I make it a point to spend time with myself in order to reflect and free my mind of the daily hassles and complexities of human interaction. I achieve this by walking through levels upon levels, shop upon shop within the malls.

My latest mall-ing fell on a Friday, prompting me to think of ways to amuse and occupy myself for the entire evening. Competent that I have the time, money and get up to sufficiently blend in with the shopping public, I casually walked in and around the great halls of the shopping mall.

My primary goal for the evening was to check out the possible replacements for my trusty old Nokia 3315. After about an hour of frustratingly looking for a decent (or should I say affordable) PDA phone, I resigned myself to purchase later on a sufficient middle end mobile phone. After my phone hunting, a dilemma struck me: what am I going to do next?

As I mentioned earlier, I have the resources to spend, but try as I may, I cannot get myself to purchase, watch, try, eat or even read anything inside the mall. Obsessive-compulsiveness aside, I cannot decide where to spend my time and money on. Such a dilemma has always hounded me whenever I am inside the mall.

Frustrated, I decided to go home and eat at the ever dependable McDonalds at the Philcoa. But before reaching the mall exit, I chanced upon a newly opened eating joint. Finally seeing the opportunity to try something new, I immediately slumped myself on the chair and asked for the menu (remember, level upon level, shop upon shop of walking…without buying anything!!!).

But I guess my malling adventure was destined not to have a happy ending, as when I checked my wallet prior to ordering, I discovered that I have less than the needed money to eat! Sure I have money, but its still in the ATM!

I guess my oc-ness got the better of me, because I made it a recent policy to carry only what cash I need. This is in order to avoid over-spending, especially during group gimmicks where free riders sometimes exist. Too bad…it backfired on me.

On the way home to the trusty McDo Philcoa, I was singing the famous Yano song…

Patingin tingin, di naman makabile
Patingin tingin, di makapanood ng sine
Walang pera, kundi pamasahe
Nakayanan ko lang, pambili ng dalawang yosi.

Quite the contrary actually….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home