Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Beautiful

"Make no little plans, they do not have magic to stir mens blood."

Daniel Burnham sure knows his stuff. I delivered a voluntary report last night for the PLAN 201 class on the works of Daniel Burnham and the City Beautiful Movement. I spent a week researching on the net and inside the library for the guy. By Saturday, I managed to finish the research and do the outline and bulk of the report by Sunday.

I finished the visuals by Sunday night, a few hours before meme time. Due to the low techness of the SURP, I managed to make do with acetates, but upon projecting the slides, the pictures are too dull and the font small (mental note: buy laptop). I planned to go around the Manila Area to photo-doc the entire Burnham planned city, but I didn't have the resources and the time to go (note: car). Another problem was that my printer makes a lot of noise so I have to be quick and discreet going about my printing, so minimal errors are all that is acceptable (note: laser printer).

By the time I started the report, I apologetically made a joke that I haven't made a report in class for over three years, but I meant it as an ice breaker. So I went through the report, in time-line form. I started speaking extemporaneously, but after a while I realized that I have an outline and notes. But it was hard to go back to reading, so I just went ahead, skipping and going back to some points I need to emphasize. My hand writing and my sketches sucked. But at least I got the message through.

I guess I'm not yet cut out to be a teacher or instructor, but I did manage to impart knowledge and show the non-Architects a thing or two about Architecture and its role in Planning. Maybe by the time I go into thesis (pray) I will be able to have a more Ekistically structured report.

Until then, I'll just have to live by Daniel Burnham's words, and although it's farfetched that I get to purchase each and every item I mentioned above, at least I get to plan big.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home