Sunday, August 08, 2004

Back to Basics

It seems that the shitft from construction to design has left me struggling to find technical answers to seemingly simple questions. Just like any other skill once you stop practicing your brain sorts of slows down.

___________

Been working on a small resthouse recently, and I'm now at the technical phase of the project. I can't seem to visualize the proper components for the house, as to what material to use. I think I'm beginning to realize that I have mastered concrete construction over timber and steel construction, so I can't maximize the potential of the latter two materials when dealing with structural conceptualization for the design. Concrete structures are generally easier to construct, based on experience, as well as comprehension. Just read the Structural Code and you'll see what I mean.

Maybe it's due to the fact that it's much easier to visualize concrete and steel reinforcements working together, as compared to steel, wherein you have a wide range of items to choose from, from pipes to tubes, channels to purlins, plates to flanges. Well I don't want to fall into the trap of blaming the educational system, but it seems that concrete has always been emphasized over steel and timber construction.

I should read up on structural books, so that I can get inspiration for explorations on the use of other materials other than concrete. Guess I'll start with the Dytoc books.

________________

It's not enough that Architects rely on the Structural engineer. Guess that's what another architect imparted on my formative years (which I guess I still am in). His paranoia for structural design failures succeeded in limiting my imagination when it comes to determining spans and dimensions of structural components.

The worst example of this paranoia came when I was assigned to partly supervise the lifting of steel columns for the footbridge project at the MRT station. The activity for the day involved the lifting of huge 20 meter steel columns into place. After successfully lifting one column we were sure that the second column can be lifted. But after the column was lifted from a horizontal position to a diagonal position the cables of the crane gave way and the column, which was around 5 meters from the truck came crashing down to the ground. Although the supposed danger came from implementation rather than design, the risk is still there. Architecture is not just drawing afte all. It involves logistical nightmares like this. You should have seen how the large bridge girders flew from the ground to it's final position at the top of the columns. THAT was scary.

______________

On another side of construction and design, I recently went to the mountains of Antipolo along with a landscape architect friend for a potential client. The house under construction is notable for the various wood species used for the trimmings, counters, cladding and surface treatment. Pine, birch, narra...I forgot the rest. No tanguile or yakal for this project. I was honest with the client that I don't know the materials he used, since these are rare materials. I was eager to learn there and then, to see how these wood species look, feel, smell and taste. Yes, some architects know wood by their taste, by licking the wood itself. Hmmm yummy...well I guess I'll just ask for samples from him later. It goes to show that I have a lot to learn again.

______________

So much for my yearning to enter a corporate archi firm were I get to learn high end finishes and techno-savvy equipment. I guess I have to learn first more from the basics. Where's a mentor when you need one?

1 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger raymond said...

At this point, we can read more about the subject or share experiences with other architects and engineers.

Parang ok ang topic na ito sa boktalk :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home