Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Presentation

How do you deal with prospective clients when closing a business deal? Di ba we were thought the proper way of being compensated, as stated in the UAP Documents? Back then when I talk to prospective clients, I always make it a point to limit giving out too much without being properly compensated or protected first, sigurista kumbaga.

This attitude extended at home whenever they would refer to me prospective clients. I always remind them "sana me contract" or "kontrata muna". Of course we can't avoid relatives and their friends who expect to avail of my services, since I am, after all, a part of the clan.

But of course it's not always peaches when it comes to being a "by the book" type of person. I realized that I have to give in sometime to the need of my family as the "in-house" or resident Architect. So when my father asked me to design the ancestral house extension up north pro-bono, I immediately said, "Sige, kelan tayo pupunta?"

I later found out from my mother that my father was very happy since I immediately said yes.

Although for us we may have found out later on that Architecture is not the glamorous profession our parents thought it would be, for them it is something to be proud of. They are not only after the financial success they dream it would bring us, but more also on the fact that they have a professional from which they can be proud of. Kumbaga, masaya na sila sa presentation lang. For now, that's what counts.

_________________

On another note, I again made a gamble when a prospective client asked me to design for them food stalls for their up and coming food line. Looking back at past experiences and lack of upgrade in my career if I would again do the same line of thinking, I accepted the project, and presented more than they asked for. Instead of mere sketches, I gave them perspectives which should show exactly what they want. You can just imagine the glow and interest in their eyes, listening intently to the infamous "UP Arki bola speak". That's it, business deal closed. And I got more than I asked for.

Sometimes it pays to gamble and be patient din pala.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home